Saturday, September 10, 2011

Add Cherries, Blood Glucose 23 points higher

Had one of my typical breakfasts. Just like last time--eggs, olive oil, veggies, fruit. Roughly same caloric count in total.

I tested my sugar. Only, the differences from last time: I had half of the nut bar (90 calories, 10 carbs--8 effective, if you take the fiber count), but I added a cup of sweet cherries. (2 fruit servings instead of 1.)

That made my 1 hour post meal glucose 111, versus last time's 88 (with a full nut/fruit bar, but only the papayas, not papayas and cherries).

2 hours postprandial = 92

Interesting. The experiment continues.

3 comments:

Bluezy said...

Amazing experiment! Cherries must be really sweet! LOL

Like your new sidebar pic. You are so lovely.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this and doing the experiment - it is very interesting. I remember being in a class once and our prof was talking about 'sugar fog' - but of course he was referring to eating a donut in the morning or something like that. He said that about a half hour after you eat it, your brain goes into a fog because your sugar level is spiked so quickly with a garbage treat. So of course, I did that experiment (uh-huh as a way to get a donut). I ate a donut, drove to class and I really did sort of blank out for about 40 minutes. It slowed me down for a bit while trying to focus on the presentation.

Blueberries and raspberries are lower sugar fruits and I put them in my yogurt often - no sugar fog. :)

Anne H said...

I did the fingersticks -
simple fruit sugars raise my counts, too!
Berries, not so much.
Interesting indeed!