Friday, January 4, 2013

Questions for Believer-Dieters Out There about Dieting Devotional Resources

Well, I've prayed about it, thought about it, and since it keeps popping into my mind and desires, I'm aiming to write a devotional for Christian dieters in 2013.

I've used devotionals for dieters before (or similar type books). But this is what I'd like to ask you out there who have used or wished to use or might use such a resource;

1. What has been missing from the dieting devotionals you've used.
2. What do you think it should focus on? Is there a specific topic you feel isn't better addressed in devotionals for overeaters/dieters?
3. Do you like them to include small prayers or just prefer a pertinent Scripture verse?
4. Is a 90 day "seasonal" type one useful, with longer entries, or do you prefer a year-long one (ie, 365 very brief entries)?
5. Is an electronic only format problematic?

I am doing this principally to help myself--to remotivate and focus. But part of me wants to be helpful to OTHERS, just as I wrote this blog mainly for my own accountability, as a tool, as my journal, but I totally wanted to reach out and help others on the same journey (ie, weight loss, exercise habit, overcoming binge- and over-eating).

What has been missing in devotional resources for you as a believer?

I'm still going to write it my way, but I want to be open to incorporating things that others may suggest as helpful.

Here are some dieter devotionals already available, in case you never browsed them or tried one.

Comment away, y'all.


8 comments:

downsizers said...

I have been thinking of doing the same thing but using my own posts as the content. It would be a lot of work but you could find blog posts from all your many blogging friends and ask their permission to include it in your daily devotional ebook. These would be posts that you felt had really good content. You could even have your followers suggest posts from others that they found particularly beneficial. There are lots of bloggers out there who really do a good job of saying the right things. Go for it.

Betty W said...

What downsizer is suggesting sounds really good. I've never used a devotional for dieting before, so I don't know what's missing. But I would be interested in reading something that is a daily read (365) and if it has other people's stories in it, even better.
I hope that helps.

Traveling Light said...

Let me think on it, and I'll get back to you.

My only quick answers are, I prefer devotionals with Scripture rather than prayers.

And I prefer the entries to be long enough to present some meat and not just a light anecdote or a happy little "thought for the day" type thing.

Other than that, like I said, I'll get back to you.

Later gator,

Deb

Beth said...

I have used daily devotionals for dieters - I've used the OA ones. One thing I would say is to be sure to include a topical index at the back so that if someone wants to use it to look up "surrender", etc. they can easily find all the posts that are related. I used mine that way quite a lot for inspiration as well as reading it daily.

Also, I think you would write a great dieter's devotional, your posts are always motivational so I would imagine that your book would be similar. Please do share some entries as you write!

Thanks for your comment yesterday, I replied, brought some tears to my eyes. xoxo

Unknown said...

I have only browsed threw one devotional type diet book. And it made me feel guilty! I put it down and have not tried another. My only suggestion would be NOT to make the reader feel guilty with there relationship with Christ and food. Be encouraging!!!

Debsdailylife said...

I love your idea!!
I prefer devotionals with short one page daily readings. A verse or two with Scripture references for deeper searching on 'your own'. Prayer word or thot for the day. or one line prayer (readers could stop there or add their own thots to the prayer.)

Annalisa@Gracie'sGarden said...

Never used a devotional! So happy to explore the link though, thanks! I'm rather excited about what you may come up with! Totally encourage you to go for it!
My fav Christian diet book is Candace Cameron's one, Reshaping it All. I've read and re-read it thrice :)
But, as your first question points out, there's obviously something missing. I would like to see a lengthy bible verse/chapter/passage homework assignment, perhaps with questions attached. I love my Bible :)
Question 2. Not sure. I think the most important thing is that people realise the importance of health, and helping yourself so that you can be able to help others, as Christians, we're called to do.
3. Small prayers - another of my fav books is The Power of a Praying Wife/Mother/Woman. A big FAT prayer would be better than scripture verse (that I sometimes ignore in Christian books, because if I want to read Scripture, I wouldn't be reading a book, I'd be in the Bible, yeah?) and you can actually incorporate the Word in those prayers, but also use everyday language we can relate to!
4. 90 day seasonal for SURE! more impact. Perhaps even a 40-day and 40-night thing? IE Jesus fast period! Sound good to me!
5. E only... hmmm... I'm rather fond of actual paper books, and rarely pay money for E-books, but have spent hundreds (cough cough... last year cough) in my library of books.

Lastly - Pray pray pray. God will lead you in the right direction. Look out for that Peace in your decisions. GOD BLESS YOU Princess Dieter!

Annalisa@Gracie'sGarden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.